Blasts in south India kill 28 people in suspected terror attack

HYDERABAD, India, Aug 26, 2007 (AFP) – Two near-simultaneous blasts tore through the Indian city of Hyderabad late Saturday, killing at least 28 people in what a state official said was a suspected terror attack. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh condemned the blasts in Hyderabad and voiced his deep concern, the Press Trust of India reported. One explosion ripped through an auditorium in a park where a laser show was underway.

Another blast rocked an outdoor eatery elsewhere in the city.

“Twenty-eight people are dead,” Chandrashekar Reddy, the spokesman for the chief minister of Andhra Pradesh state, told AFP.

“The chief minister suspects terrorist activity,” Reddy said, adding that a “red alert” had been declared throughout the city.

Police evacuated the areas where the explosion occurred.

Television footage showed a body crumpled under an auditorium seat at the laser show and the injured being rushed to hospital in three-wheel scooters.