COLOMBO, September 18, 2013 (AFP) – Sri Lanka will seek a new coach after South African Graham Ford declined to extend his two-year term beyond January, cricket officials said on Wednesday. “The national coach has indicated of his unavailability to continue after his contract expires in January 2014,” Sri Lanka Cricket said in a statement.
“He has taken this decision consequent to the discussions he had with his family on the options given by Sri Lanka Cricket.”
Ford, 52, who made known his decision to step down earlier this month, had been requested by the Sri Lankan board to reconsider after being offered undisclosed options.
Ford’s last assignment with Sri Lanka will be a series of three Tests, five one-day internationals and two Twenty20 games against Pakistan in the United Arab Emirates in December.
Ford, a former South Africa coach who replaced Australian Geoff Marsh in early 2012, has been linked to the vacant coaching position with English county side Surrey.
Under Ford, Sri Lanka were runners-up to the West Indies in the World Twenty20 in 2012 and also won a home Test series against Pakistan. Sri Lanka will need to have a new coach in place before the Asia Cup in Ba