Apr 06, 2014 (LBO) – Sri Lanka and Pakistan has signed six agreements including a mutual cooperation in the shipping business between Pakistan national shipping corporation and the Ceylon shipping corporation, President’s office said.
President Maithripala Sirisena who is currently on a three-day state visit to Pakistan presided over the signing ceremony with the Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on Monday.
“We want a stable and peaceful relationship with Sri Lanka.”, Pakistan Premier has said in a joint news conference.
“Pakistan and Sri Lanka’s relations span over six decades and are characterized by mutual respect, understanding and cooperation,” President Sirisena has said.
The memorandums of understanding (MoU) signed:
1) Cooperation between Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission and Atomic Energy Authority of Sri Lanka.
2) Agreement on cooperation against illicit trafficking in narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances.
3) Academic cooperation agreement on exchange and collaboration between National Defence University of Pakistan and Lakshman Kadirgamar Institute of International Relations and Strategic Studies of Sri Lanka.
4) Collaboration in the field of Sports.
5) Mutual cooperation in the shipping business between Pakistan National Shipping Corporation (PNSC) and the Ceylon Shipping Corporation Ltd (CSCL).
6) Cooperation on disaster management.