Jan 02, 2007 (LBO) – Sri Lanka’s cabinet of ministers has approved a proposal to pull out of a ceasefire agreement with the Tamil Tigers, state television reported Wednesday. . The proposal was submitted by Prime Minister Ratnasiri Wikremenayake and it was unanimously approved the state-owned Independent Television Network (ITN) said.
Either party could pull out of the ceasefire giving two weeks’ notice.
A committee headed by the Prime Minister had been formed to inform the LTTE and ceasefire monitors, a senior government official said.
Clashes with the Tamil Tigers have been intensifying in the last two years with the ceasefire agreement limited to paper.
Earlier on Wednesday the Tamil Tigers set off a roadside bomb targeting a military truck killing five persons.