Jan 11, 2018 (LBO) – The cabinet of ministers has given the go ahead to regularize and update the present method of visa issuing in Sri Lanka.
According to the latest statement on cabinet decisions it was decided to collect visa charges in US Dollars instead of Sri Lankan Rupees and to add following to the visa issuing method.
- Recommendation of visa for investors/employees in BOI zones by the Secretary of the Ministry which BOI comes under.
- Charge a fine of US 500 dollars in addition to visa charge from foreigners whose visa period has expired.
- Provide residential visa for foreign student covering the whole academic period.
- Issue residential visa up to 10 years for foreigners who remit more than USD 500,000 to Sri Lanka.
- Issue spouse visa for foreigners up to 05 years and for their children who are married with Sri Lankan citizens.
- Issue residential visa for 02 years to foreigners whose Sri Lankan spouse is dead who has resided continuously for 10 years in Sri Lanka or who have children under 18 years of age, for employment purpose.
- Issue a permanent residence visa for former Sri Lankans who have already obtained the citizenship of another country who cannot apply for dual citizenship.
The proposal was put forward by Internal Affairs, Wayamba Development and Cultural Affairs Minister S. B. Navinna.