July 23, 2015 (LBO) – Sri Lanka cabinet of ministers had decided to take legal action to get the payments due and to obtain compensations for the damages that had been caused, for the transport used in last presidential election, cabinet spokeman Rajitha Senaratne said at a press briefing held in Colombo.
Minister of Internal Transport Ranjith Madduma Bandara presented a detailed report to cabinet relating to expenditure incurred by Institutions coming under his Ministry during the last Presidential Election.
Accordingly an expenditure of 8.2 million rupees incurred by the National Transport Commission on account of event where the former President Rajapakse met the Bus owners / Drivers / Conductors on the 6th December 2014 which has not been paid.
Also the buses of the Sri Lanka Transport Board have been provided for public participation at the United People’s Freedom Alliance political rallies for an advance of 50 rupees million. The ministry had already sent a letter to the General Secretary of the United People’s Freedom Alliance requesting a payment of 142.5 million rupees on account of unsettled dues in this regard, the cabinet spokesman said.
However no action has been taken so far to settle this outstanding payment, cabinet spokesman Rajitha Senaratne said.
The report also said that a repair cost for nearly 50 feet stretch of the wall of the Shalika Ground has to be paid which was demolished owing to the usage of the ground for Presidential election meetings.