Oct 02, 2015 (LBO) – 2017 Diversity Immigrant Visa Lottery Program also known as the “Green Card” lottery has been opened for on-line registration from yesterday to November 3, 2015, the US embassy in Sri Lanka said.
The lottery allows randomly selected applicants the opportunity to interview for an immigrant visa, and if qualified, become legal permanent residents of the United States.
Go to the US embassy Colombo’s website to find out more about the program, including qualification requirements and detailed instructions.
Those selected will be asked to submit more information and will be notified if they are selected for an interview when they periodically go to Entrant Status Check.
If selected, the in-person interview will be with a US Consular Officer, who will decide if you are eligible to receive a visa –documents required will include medical and police clearance and payment of visa fees at the Embassy.
A few suggestions from US to keep in mind:
• The lottery application period is open from October 1, 2015 to November 3, 2015;
• The lottery is open to citizens from qualifying countries – both Sri Lanka and Maldives qualify;
• Applicants may only apply once; multiple entries will result in disqualification;
• Applicants must meet the qualifications for the Diversity Immigrant Visa program, so please make sure you qualify before applying;
• Applicants should keep the application’s confirmation number – you will need it to check if you have been selected;
• The online application is completely free – there are no hidden costs. Beware of scams, of persons or companies making claims of affiliation with the U.S. Government, and of those who promise improved odds of selection. You do not need third party assistance to complete and submit an application.