Mar 18, 2020 (LBO) – Colombo Chamber of Commerce appeals to curb the spread of COVID-19 in the banking network.
The chamber suggests the following steps to be implemented particularly in the Banking Sector which has a greater economic impact and high possibility of exposure to this deadly virus spread.
This is an attempt by the Colombo Chamber of Commerce to highlight the precarious circumstances as any spread in Banks could lead to a collapse or disastrous curve which affects can multiply.
- Retail banking hours to be limited to 3 hours for public.
- Documentary transactions should be mandatorily via online system to minimize exposure of customers and banking staff.
- Banks should insist under CBSL direction to utilize ONLINE banking portals for transactions.
- Banks should waive off registration charges for fresh registrations of “Online Banking” to encourage new registrations and implement a mechanism to complete the registration process in minimum time period.
- Bank should provide the necessary Masks and Sanitizers for the basic safety of staff and customers.
- Banks should have temperature monitoring system at least in main branches where public dealing is heavy.
- Adequate publicity and awareness should be given via media to create awareness for the new bank timing and benefits of online banking etc. among the public.