This report covers the activities of the Colombo Port City project from January to June 2022, shared by the Colombo Port City Economic Commission (CPCEC/Commission).
- Development Control Regulations (DCR) for the entire project were gazetted in April 2022 and an awareness program on them was conducted by the Commission for Government officials in June 2022. The DCR informs developers, residents, investors, and other stakeholders of the composition and use of the plots in the planned city.
- Key Regulations have been finalized which are Businesses of Strategic Importance, Offshore Companies, Authorised persons, Duty-Free retail operations, Fees and DCR. These key regulations were completed, together with international consultants, with the development of suitable draft policies and procedures for identified thrust sectors, designed with extensive benchmarking studies to best-in-class regulations in fiscal and non-fiscal areas. Additionally, an expedited approval for Investor Agreement and Licensing processes for Potential Investors and Authorized Persons have also been completed.
- The Commission has now received 42 out of the 74 plots technically completed by the Project Company, for which Completion Certificates have been issued to the Project Company.
- Out of the 34 Project Company marketable land plots granted to the Project Company on a 99-year lease basis, 6 plots were released back to the Commission by the Project Company and the Commission granted 6 fresh Indenture of leases for a 99-year period to the investors valued at approximately USD 200 million. The Investors have projected a collective investment commitment of USD 600 million.
region’s first Downtown Duty-Free (DF) Mall infrastructure work is now complete
and interior fit-out will begin soon. Colombo Port City Duty-Free Regulations
have been drafted and are awaiting Cabinet approval. The facility will be
operated by two of the world’s leading DF operators, positioning Colombo Port
City as a regional shopping destination.
- Negotiations are ongoing to introduce a leading Global Food and Beverage operator into Colombo Port City, offering a range of East, West, and Fusion cuisine, creating a ‘watering hole’ concept for DF shopping, as well as a world-class dining destination in the City of Colombo.
- A plan for the feasibility of a ‘remote check-in process’ and ‘checked-in baggage hauling’ for departing overseas travellers is currently being drawn up, to streamline their shopping experience.
- The Commission, in collaboration with the Department of Immigration and Emigration (DIE), is streamlining and automating the visa application and approval process for 3 defined visa types under the Colombo Port City law. These are Investor Visa (10 years), Employment visas (dependent on the contract tenure), and long-term Residence visas (dependent on lease tenure) and include all dependents.
- The Commission is in discussion with the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC) regarding offering the International Commercial Dispute Resolution Centre to international operators and/or obtaining technical assistance from the SIAC under an MOU with the Ministry of Justice of Sri Lanka.
- An expedited process has been established with the Registrar of Companies in Sri Lanka for ease of setting up companies under Colombo Port City law, under the Single Window Facilitation process mandate defined in Section 30 of the CPCEC Act.
- The Monetary Board and Ministry of Finance have approved full the CPCEC regulated offshore licenses for 4 banks initially, and the Central Bank of Sri Lanka has created a new class of account available for all banks under its regulatory purview, the Colombo Port City Investment Account designed to facilitate the inflow of funds to be used for investing in Colombo Port City.
- The Commission is conducting a detailed ESG (Environmental, Social, and Governance) benchmarking study of the most climate-friendly cities in the world to apply best practices in the development of Colombo Port City infrastructure and facilities.
The Colombo Port City Economic Commission (CPCEC/Commission)