July 30, 2007 (AFP) – England’s winter tours of Sri Lanka looked set to go ahead after local officials claimed Monday that a security assessment team sent by the tourists was satisfied with the arrangements. Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) chairman Jayantha Dharmadasa said that John Carr, a top official of the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB), and security assessor Reg Dickson were both happy with the arrangements put in place.
“They visited all the venues, inspected all arrangements and were impressed by the level of security that will be made available,” Dharmadasa told AFP.
Carr and Dickson have been visiting the cities of Galle, Kandy and Dambulla since Friday, in addition to inspecting the facilities at venues in the Sri Lankan capital.
There has not been any comment from the ECB team so far.
England are due to play five one-dayers in Sri Lanka between October 1-13 before returning in late November for three Test matches.
Dharmadasa said the British government’s travel advisory, warning its nationals to take extreme caution when travelling to the island, was not a concern for the ECB.
“Sri Lanka is as safe as London….it can happen anywhere,” Dharmadasa said referring to the