Oct 27, 2017 (LBO) – President Maithripala Sirisena who is on a two-day state visit to State of Qatar to boost bilateral ties has sought the assistance of it’s Emir, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani with regard to State run SriLankan Airlines.
Issuing a statement the Presidents office said that special attention of the Emir of Qatar was drawn to entering into partnership with the SriLankan Airlines.
SriLankan Airlines has recorded an unaudited group loss of 6.49 billion rupees for the financial year 2016/7 before finance and one-off charges is at present on the look out for a partner.
The Emir said that this tour of the President will pave the way to further strengthen longstanding bilateral relations between the two countries.
The two leaders agreed to appoint a committee, consists of the representatives of both countries to seek the paths to cooperation in all sectors.
Sri Lanka and the State of Qatar signed one agreement and six MoUs. Those are;
1. MoU on mutual visa exception for holders of diplomatic, official and special passports – the MoU was signed by the State Minister of Foreign Affairs Vasantha Senanayake and Qatari Minister of Foreign Affairs Sheikh Mohamed Bin Abdur Rahman Al Thani
2. MoU on Cooperation in the field of diplomatic training and research – the Mou was signed by the State Minister of Foreign Affairs Vasantha Senanayake and Qatari Minister of Foreign Affairs Sheikh Mohamed Bin Abdur Rahman Al Thani
3. Agreement of donation for providing emergency relief to Sri Lanka to face drought – the MoU was signed by the State Minister of Foreign Affairs Vasantha Senanayake and Qatari Minister of Foreign Affairs Sheikh Mohamed Bin Abdur Rahman Al Thani
4. MoU on cooperation in the field of energy – the MoU was signed by the Minister of Power and Industries of the State of Qatar Dr. Mohamed Bin Salih Al Sada and Sri Lankan Deputy Minister of Power and Renewable Energy Ajith P. Perera
5. MoU in the field of waste water management – the MoU was signed by the Minister of Municipality and Environment of the State of Qatar Mohammed Bin Abdullah Al Rumaihi and Sri Lankan Minister of City Planning and Water Supply Rauf Hakeem
6. MoU in the field of health and medical science – MoU was signed by the Minister of Public Health for the State of Qatar Dr Hanan Mohamed Al Kuwari and Sri Lankan Health Minister Rajitha Senarathne
7. MoU in the field of exchange of financial investigations – MoU was signed by the head of Qatar’s Financial Information Unit (QFIU) Ahmad bin Eid al-Thani and the Director of the Financial Intelligence Unit of Sri Lanka Dr. H Amaratunga.