Oct 03, 2007 (Vimasuma.com) Former Sri Lanka captain and opener Marvan Attapattu would not be included in a forthcoming tour of Australia, chief selector Ashantha de Mel said. “We were informed at about 5.00 pm by fax that Marvan would not attend a meeting with cricket officials,” de Mel told Vimasuma.com
“It is not possible to include him in the tour without talking to him. Earlier he was included in a tour for Bangladesh but he did not participate.”
De Mel had said he was hoping to talk to Atappattu and include him in the Australia tour in place of Sanath Jayasuriya for test matches.
Sanath Jayasuriya will now be in the Australian tour.
Marvan had earlier asked to be relieved from his contract with the Sri Lanka cricket board.
Cricket watchers speculated that he was disappointed as he was not given a chance to play in the last cricket world cup, though he was included in the tour.
Atapattu told Vimasuma.com said that he was surprised that he had been excluded from a tour simply because a meeting was not attended. He said had no confidence in the Sri Lanka selectors.
Atapattu had played 88 tests and scored 16 centuries and amassed over