Oct 31, 2016 (LBO) – Sri Lanka’s Digital Infrastructure Ministry is expected to complete opening of 500 free public Wi-fi spots in the island before the end of this year.
The Ministry of Telecommunication and Digital Infrastructure recently reactivated 405 hotspots that underwent an upgrade.
The ministry is to open 95 new public Wi-fi facilities before the end of this year.
Under the new system, anyone in a free Wi-fi area can access the facility once entering the PIN number which they will receive after providing the user’s NID number and phone number.
Before the recent upgrade there were about 25,600 members using the system with almost all the telecommunication operators supporting the system.
1919 – Government Information Center is prepared to help users any information regarding the new facility.
User manual for new users
1. Enable the Wi-Fi option from settings and select “Public_Wifi” from the current Wifi List.
2. Once selected the Wifi, it will redirect the browser and open the initial screen to proceed. Else the browser has to be selected for the initial screen to be loaded.
3. Select the preferred language from the given options.
4. Enter your National Identity Card Number and click the Next button to proceed to the next screen.
5. Enter the first name and last name and click on the next button to proceed to the next screen.
6. Select your gender and click next to proceed.
7. Enter mobile number. Click on the send me code button. Then a verification code will be sent via SMS.
8. Enter the verification code and click the verify button to proceed. Else click on the “click here” option to get another verification code.
9. Now you are successfully connected to access the service.