Nirmalan Nagendra, Consultant, Hotel Advisory of KPMG, Colombo was the key speaker at the Hospitality Management Workshop on 11 January 2019, organized specifically for hoteliers by the Sri Lanka branch of the UK Charted Management Institute, and sponsored by Lithro Gas, Sri Lanka.
General Managers, Excom Members, and Senior Managers of hotel trade featured at the workshop as enthusiastic participants.
Nagendra is a consultant with KPMG’s Hotel Advisory practice, with 35 years of expertise in the hospitality industry, including 25 years in Senior Director of Finance positions in 5-star hotel chains in the USA, the Caribbean, the Middle East and Singapore. He also held the role of Deputy General Manager for Le Meridien hotels in the Bahamas and Kuwait overlooking Rooms, Human Resources and Training.
He covered the following key areas of hospitality management:
- Driving KPIs for Rooms, Food & Beverage and others in line with industry standards
- How to ensure management’s obligations to owners’ expectations are met
- Revenue management
- Monthly forecasting, as well as re-forecasting in difficult times
- Avoidance of P&L window dressing
- People leadership and taking care of the biggest asset – People; Satisfied staff means satisfied guests and leads to a growth in the top line
- Cost control; How to review costs while ensuring value and standards are maintained
- Sales and marketing cost/maintenance in line with industry standards
- Ensuring compliance to government regulations
- Risk management and ensuring adequate insurance cover
- Ensuring adequate monthly provisions
He also strongly advocated the need to hire for attitude, the need to work as a team to achieve revenue and cost objectives and the necessity for hotels in the region to work together to maintain an appropriate room rate without excessive undercutting for short term gains.