May 11, 2006 (AFP) – Prolific batsman Sanath Jayasuriya is set to return to Sri Lanka’s squad for the second Test against England after reversing his decision to quit, a cricket website said Wednesday. “The (Sri Lankan) selectors met this afternoon after Jayasuriya indicated a willingness to make himself available for Tests again and decided to send him to England as soon as possible,” the Cricinfo website said.
The left-handed batsman, who discussed his Test return during Wednesday’s meeting with newly-appointed chief selector Asantha de Mel, is expected to arrive in England midway through the opening Test starting on Thursday.
The second Test of a three-match series begins at Edgbaston on May 25.
“We have received a letter from Sanath that he is available for the second Test and we are considering it,” de Mel told AFP.
Jayasuriya, 36, announced during a home series against Pakistan last month he was leaving Test cricket to concentrate on one-dayers leading up to the World Cup in the Caribbean in March-April next year.
But de Mel, who replaced Lalith Kaluperuma as chairman of the selection committee last week, blamed his predecessor for forcing the former captain out of Test cricke