MOHALI, December 21, 2008 (AFP) – The tense stand-off between India and Pakistan following the Mumbai attacks will not affect the 2011 World Cup in the region, cricket’s world chief said on Sunday. “I am sure that the subcontinent will stage the World Cup,” International Cricket Council (ICC) president David Morgan told reporters on the sidelines of the India-England Test here.
“How the matches will be spread remains to be seen. That will depend upon the current security advice then.”
The Indian government last week cancelled a scheduled Test tour of Pakistan following the Mumbai terror attacks that left 172 people dead, including nine of the 10 gunmen, and nearly 300 injured.
The four Test-playing nations in Asia — India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh — are due to host the World Cup, cricket’s showpiece event held every four years, in 2011.
“There has to be some concern about the next World Cup to be played in those four countries,” said Morgan.
“But I am confident between the four countries we will have a very good World Cup.”
India and Pakistan jointly organised the World Cup in 1987 and Sri Lanka were added as hosts when the tournament returned to the subco