Mar 22, 2015 (LBO) – Sri Lanka’s President Maithripala Sirisena on Sunday formed a new national government absorbing SLFP parliamentarians in the opposition as new ministers.
The President has appointed 11 new cabinet ministers, 5 State Ministers and 10 Deputy Ministers, the president media said.
1. A.H.M.Fowzie – Minister of Disaster Management
2. S.B.Nawinna – Minister of Labour
3. Piyasena Gamage – Minister of Skill Development and Vocational Training
4. Dr. Sarath Amunugama – Minister of Higher Education and Research
5. S.B.Dissanayake – Minister of Rural Economic Affairs
6. Janaka Bandara Thennakoon – Minister of Provincial Councils and Local Development
7. Felix Perera – Minister of Special Projects
8. Mahainda Yapa Abewardene – Minister of Parliamentary Affairs
9. Reginald Cooray – Minister of Aviation Services
10. Vijith Wijeyamuni Soysa – Minister of Irrigation
11. Mahinda Amaraweera – Minister of Fisheries
1.Pavitradevi Wanniarachchi – State Minister of Environment
2.Jeewan Kumaratunga – State Minister of Labour
3.Mahinda Samarasinghe – State Minister of Finance
4.C.B.Ratanayake – State Minister of Public Administration and Democratic Rule
5.Dilan Perera – State Minister of Housing and Samurdhi
1. Tissa Karaliyedda – Deputy Minister of Buddha Sasana and Democratic Rule
2. DayashrithaTissera – Deputy Minister of Fisheries
3. Ranjith Siyambalapitiya – Deputy Minister of Home Affairs
4. Laxman Seneviratne – Deputy Minister of Disaster Management
5. Laxman Yapa Abewardene – Deputy Minister of Aviation Services
6. Lalith Dissayanake – Deputy Minister of Irrigation
7. Jagath Pushpakumara – Deputy Minister of Plantation Industries
8. Lasantha Alagiyawanna – Deputy Minister of Rural Economic Affairs
9. Sudarshani Fernandopulle – Deputy Minister of Higher Education and Research
10. Shantha Bandara – Deputy Minister of Media
Newly appointed cabinet minister of disaster management A.H.M. Fowzie told LBO that some of the new ministerial posts have taken back the powers of current ministers in order to appoint new ministers.
According to the election manifesto of Maithripala Sirisena; this new national government has been appointed for the hundred day programme.
Excerpts of the manifesto are reproduced below.
Along with the political leaders and people who are with me I will implement the programme of stabilizing the country in two stages. The first stage is the Hundred Day Programme to solve urgent issues. For that purpose a National Unity Alliance Government will be established for a hundred day interim period.
This programme will be implemented through a National government comprising the Sri Lanka Freedom Party, the United National Party, Jatika Hela Urumaya and people’s representatives all other political parties that are represented in the present Parliament who are willing to join this programme. The leader of the Opposition Mr. Ranil Wickremesinghe will be appointed as the Prime Minister of this National Government.