Mar 31, 2020 (LBO) – The government of Sri Lanka and Uber are joining forces to deliver essential supplies as part of efforts to slow the spread of COVID-19 in the country.
Uber Eats will enable people to receive essential food items and support the government’s guidelines by staying at home. Users can now get groceries safely delivered on the same day, in full compliance with hygiene measures and traffic restrictions, and have the option of paying through card or cash.
Following the temporary closure of all restaurants and shopping centres, Uber Eats has partnered with supermarkets and small independent businesses to meet the growing grocery needs of the citizens. By sharing its technology and vast network of delivery partners with the government, Uber is helping to free up precious State resources so that they can be channelled towards life-saving efforts.
“I want to thank both Uber and Mobitel for accepting my invitation and stepping up in this time of crisis to partner with leading Supermarket stores to provide a state of the art delivery service. It will be operational from cities in the Colombo, Gampaha and Kalutara districts.” said Namal Rajapaksa, Member of Parliament commenting on the partnership.
“Our partnership with Cargills Food City and other businesses to deliver essential everyday items via Uber Eats will allow people to stay at home and help authorities reduce the spread of COVID 19. It will also help reduce the burden on authorities in providing essential goods for every citizen. To enhance safety for our community, Uber Eats deliveries can be contactless and users can request orders to be left at their doorstep. In these unprecedented times, we are privileged to be able to support authorities and the people of Sri Lanka meet everyday needs.” said Bhavna Dadlani, Country Lead, Uber Eats Sri Lanka.
Getting essential items delivered is easy:
- Download the app – Just search for Uber Eats on the App Store or Play Store
- Register your account – Sign up with the same details used for Uber Rides or a valid e-mail address to create a new account
- Pick your delivery location – Enter the address where you would like your groceries delivered
- Find the items you need – Browse through local grocery vendors or search by item, and sort according to price and speed, to find the essentials you need
- Place your order – Pick the items you want right away or schedule your order to arrive at your convenience
- Pay through Card or Cash – Pay through your Debit/Credit card or choose cash on delivery
- Track the progress of your delivery – Get updates as your order is prepared and track it in real-time as the order gets delivered to your destination
- Contactless delivery: Users can request deliveries be left on their doorsteps when placing an order